70/30 DM & MMU Celebrate Anniversaries in 2012
In 1942, construction began on the Columbia Meadows as part of a Civil Aeronautics Authority grant to develop an airport for national defense. Upon complete ion of the construction work, the airport was operated as a military training base and in 1945 was turned over to the Town of Morristown to be operated as a public use facility.
In 1982, the DeMatteis organization entered into a 99 year lease with the town of Morristown to operate the airport. This year, MMU celebrates its 70th anniversary and DM AIRPORTS, LTD, celebrates 30 years at MMU. As part of the anniversary celebration DM AIRPORTS, LTD created an anniversary logo for the airport.
The interior of the logo displays the original air traffic control tower purchased from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The aircraft located at the base of the tower is a Cessna T-50 “Bamboo Bomber.” The logo was derived from an original picture of the aircraft and the tower taken sometime during the early 1950’s at MMU.